Student of the Week

At my previous school we recognized 2 students a month at an awards assembly.  At my current school, we recognize the kids in our class "unofficially".  Last summer I found student of the month posters at the Dollar Tree.  I was good about handing them out for the first few two months, but then it was sporadic.  Toward the end of the year, I was recognizing 6-8 kids each month, just to make sure that everyone got to do the poster!
Because I know how hectic teaching is, I wanted to think of a better way to do this.  I've decided to honor a student of the week instead of students of the month.  I think it will be easier to remember for both me and my students.  I also plan to have all of my students complete the poster at the beginning of the year, so that I have them on file whenever it is their week.
Instead of buying the posters, I decided to make one for my students to fill in.  Since I'm using the sports theme, I'm calling them All-Stars of the Week.
I also made a regular student of the week poster (same as the one above, but says student instead of all-star).  You can check them out in my TpT store by clicking HERE
While stalking browsing the dollar spot at Target, I found these:
I also picked up a whole bunch of other stuff....gotta love the dollar spot!
I plan to put it on the chair of the student and they can keep it for the whole week.  I also plan to have the class write a letter to the student, then I'll bind them and each student will have a cute keepsake.  Here's the star letter template I plan to use (Click the picture to download):
Frame by 3AM Teacher
If you honor students of the week/month, what do you do?  I'd love to add more ideas to what I plan to do. 
I'm also linking up again with Elizabeth at Fun in Room 4B. My Fabulous Find this week goes with my sports theme for this school year.  I found these at the Dollar Tree:

They're birthday invitations that I plan to use for conference reminders!  Don't forget to hop over to Fun in Room 4B to see what other fabulous finds people have discovered this week!

5 comments

  1. Good idea! I have my students create their Student of the Week posters the first week of school and put them up throughout the year if they turned them in. It helps me to remember to do it!

    Heather at TeachItToday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and student of the week ideas! I am giving you the One Lovely Blog Award, I know you already have this award but would like to give it to you again :) Looking forward to see what your class is up to this year.

    Sarah
    Teaching Star Students

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using invitations as reminders! I bet parents pay more attention to it.

    I've thought about having students as a part of my conferences- maybe they could even fill out the invitation to their parents! :)

    Thanks for getting me thinking!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat W. rwagle@sbcglobal.netJuly 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM

    Love your ideas!. I've been doing Star of the Week for many years. In Sept I make up the gallon size baggies with all the stuff, letter, poster directions. Then 2 weeks before their week I send the baggie home. I also make a themed chair cover using my sewing machine. If you'd like me to make you one I'd be pleased. Just a little pay-if-forward, no cost. you already share so much. We'll need to email about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Star of the Week poster!

    Kaylynn

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top