Optimum Organization: Highlight your name

I love organization!  Now that school's out I'm super excited to be linking up with Kristen and Elizabeth for

One of the things that I made last summer was the "highlight your name" bucket.  I blogged about it {HERE}.
 
It made such a difference in cutting down on no name papers.  Students loved highlighting their name and I didn't have to track them down to see who had turned in an assignment.  It was such a simple fix to a problem that I hated!
 
It was also a cheap project--the bucket is from the dollar spot at Target and the label is a FREEBIE from Teaching in Flip Flops.
 
So, there's one of the organizational tools I used this year that worked.  Now I have a question for all of my bloggy friends--I'm looking to binderize this summer.  If you've done this, how did you choose your binder titles....did you do common core strands or individual standards?  I currently have everything in file folders by standard and if I did binders for each standard---that's a lot of binders!  But if I just do strands, I'll have huge binders that I won't be able to transport easily.  What should an organized teacher do?

With my question out of the way, go ahead and grab a notepad, some fun pens and a cool summer drink!  Let's get ready for a summer of organization!  I love it!

3 comments

  1. I made the highlighter basket and didn't use it effectively last year (because I never really introduced it properly). Thanks for this reminder about it. I think I'll give it a better try next year. Thanks for linking up with us! To answer your question about the binders: I think that it depends on the strand. For example, my number and operations-fractions binder would be way larger than my geometry binder because I have more resources for that strand. I'd look first at how much you think you would have for the binder and go from there. Hope this helps a little :)

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this with my 4th graders this year. It cut down on no name papers tremendously. I am glad to know 2nd graders can do it, too.

    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having student's highlight their name to turn in work! Does it take them very long to do this each time they turn in something?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top