Bloglovin' and Reading Logs

Hey everyone!  I'm making the switch to Bloglovin'.  I'll be honest, I don't completely understand what's going on but I know that Google Reader is going away July 1st and I want to be able to catch up, learn, and share with all of you fabulous bloggers!  Click the link below to follow me on Bloglovin:
from Kickin it in Kindergarten
If you need a tutorial on how to import blogs you follow, check out The Brown-Bag Teacher's recent post.  For tips on how to claim your blog, check out this post from Kickin' it in Kindergarten.
Now on to a question about reading logs.  I hate them!  I want to foster a love of reading and show kids that reading for pleasure is awesome!  I feel like making them fill out a reading log takes this away.  What do you think?  My school requires them, but I want to try to switch things up.  I'm thinking of making a tic-tac-toe type of menu of differet activities students can do during the week instead of just summarizing.  I teach at a multiple intelligence school so I'll be incorporating that into whatever I come up with. 
What do you use as a reading log if you use one?  Have you ever used a menu?


4 comments

  1. love your blog! I'm your newest follower.

    mysecondgradejournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that tic tac toe boards are better than any reading log kids will do. You could have them use notebooks and glue the tic tac toe board in and then do the activities for each day/ week on the next pages. Maybe do a new board each month?
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog & so happy to have found you> Yes, I'm following you on bloglovin :)

    We just use regular old reading logs, but I love your idea of the menu or tic-tac-toe board. Can't wait to read more!

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  4. My team and I used Tic Tac Toe boards for Spelling homework and the kids LOVED it!! If they felt like writing a poem with spelling words, they could! If they wanted to make flashcards, they could! I don't care how they practice, as long as they practice! We rotated 5 different Tic Tac Toe boards all year long. It never seemed to get old because they changed often.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top