Friday Flashback!

What a crazy week!  Between my birthday and Halloween, nothing was normal!

When I got to work on Tuesday, I walked into a birthday-decorated room:



My wonderful room mom and other fabulous parents snuck in on Monday night and decorated my room.  On Tuesday they brought in cupcakes for me and the kids!  It was so sweet!

Later that day, we did a pumpkin math activity with ALL of the second grade students.  The kids had to measure the pumpkins with cubes and rulers, estimate and measure the stem, and count the grooves and number of seeds.  It was messy, but so much fun!



In language arts this week we began studying prefixes.  One of my wonderful colleagues found this pin:
from Two Tangled Teachers
And we created are working on our own "Carried Away with Prefixes" display!  We had the kids use 4 balloons: 1 for the prefix, 1 for the root word, 1 for the new word, and 1 for the meaning of the new word.  I'm hoping to have my pictures done and on display early next week.

For reading comprehension, we began studying author's purpose.  My kids thought "Easy as PIE" was the funniest thing and I think they really remember it.  As an extension I had the kids make this foldable:
sorry it's so light and upside down.  Here's the pin that was my inspiration:
Pinned Image
from Teaching Fashionista
In math we're continuing our unit on 2-digit addition.  Last week was more concrete with manipulatives; this week we moved to the abstract and the standard algorithm.  To help remember the steps, we made this visual from Amy Lemons' Double Digit Addition Pack:

So far the kids seem to be getting the steps.  We're still plugging away at it, but it's looking good!

Finally. in science we're in the middle of our motion unit.  This week we talked about forces---pushes and pulls.  The kiddos and I went outside to put our knowledge of pushes and pulls into action.  What better way than a little game of soccer and basketball!

Last, but definitely not least, here are some of our character pumpkins!  This was such a great project!



Such an amazingly fun and busy week!  Make sure you stop by and check out everyone's week at this week's Friday Flashback hosted by Amanda at Teaching Maddeness!



3 comments

  1. I made the mistake of telling people when my birthday was my first year of teaching. On that day when I came in from recess duty, the kids had totally decorated my room and the neighboring teacher had brought in a pinata. It was a sweet gesture, but a huge mess!! Never again... :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! I hope you're sitting with your feet kicked up somewhere right now...you sure had a busy week! So much fun though! Thanks for linking up to share with us!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Diane R
    Our parents always go above and beyond. I knew something was going to happen but I didn't know it would be that over the top!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top