Spark Student Motivation--Student Treasures Books


Have you heard of Student Treasures?  It's a FREE school publishing program.  I've been at 2 different schools that use it and it's great!

Here's how it works: You sign up online and they send you an order form for the school.  Teachers can sign up for a class book or individual books.  Each time I've done it, I've done the class books because my kiddos are in 2nd grade.  The upper grade teachers usually get individual books.

For the class book, each student writes a page in it.  This year we did ours with our 2014 One Word writing, which I talked about HERE.  Each student wrote about their one word for the year that they would use to guide and inspire them.  We took this through the writing process and students published this piece.

After it was published, I had the kids rewrite it (I think they were sick of the word by then!) one more time for me to proof.  Finally they were able to write for the book.  After everyone wrote their piece and traced it with marker, they illustrated it.

Here is the final product:
 
 
 
 
I love that it's a nice hardcover book.  The kids feel so accomplished!  Parents have a chance to order the book and the best part is the teacher gets a book for free!  Our class book is now the most read book in the library!

I tell the kids all the time that they are published authors now so they have to make sure their writing is always their best!  They love it and are more into writing now which is so heart warming!


3 comments

  1. What a great way to showcase student work and show them that they can be published! I need to do this! :) Thanks for sharing.
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! This is such a cool idea. And the kids should never be sick of editing. Haha!

    Thanks
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this, but have never used it. Thanks for sharing such a great idea! I'm thinking of Mother's Day...this would be such a wonderful keepsake! Love it Brandi-thanks for linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top